Friday 29 November 2013

Riley's Ballad

Dear Mr.President,
I'm in love and ready to tie the knot
Had each other's back for 10 years
Through the many wars that have been fought

She saved me from my personal hell
Four years of bullies and humiliation
But she was always there for me
Her strength was my salvation

I want to be married to my angel
But we're having some difficulty, see
It's not legal where we live
Here in the land of the "free"

We have not the time nor the money
To fly to a better state
But why should we have to?
Why is my happiness still up for debate?

I find the main cause is religion
Because the Bible says we're "not right"
But why is any form of love wrong?
I don't understand this sleight

Dear Mr.President,
Has the government forgotten this quote
"life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"?
Or is Lady Liberty really so remote?

I am proud to live in this country
But the lawmakers have no business
With whom I choose to spend my life
They should just care I have found happiness

My last point, Mr.President
Is our marriage will never hurt anyone
It will simply give us joy
And our new life will have begun

That is why I ask you
to end our days in Purgatory
Mr.President, I ask of you
To end these laws and become nondiscrimitory

No comments:

Post a Comment