Thursday 28 November 2013

Ballad - Ladina Brunner

Two distressed parents,
The tap tap tap of their shoes on the waiting room floor
Doctor comes out out, clipboard in hand and says
Your daughter has lost the war

It's a brain tumor,
Been festering since she was little
She has a year at most
I know the truth can be brittle

But it's too soon!
Her life has barely started
Only thirteen years, after thirteen years
Our dear child departed!

I'm so sorry
I wish there was a cure
These things can happen
Let me tell you something, if you're unsure

You are her family,
Have been from the start
So make her life amazing
Before you have to part

And so the girl lived, really lived
For her last year
Spending her time
With the ones she held dear

Her last words
She said with a smile
Thank you so much
For going the extra mile

I have truly lived
Though my life has been short
You can let me go now
And i'm happy to report

It's all because of you
Though I can't live any longer
And you'll be alone
I know this will make you stronger

It's cold
Fading into black
Her parents are weeping
She's not coming back

Beneath the grey sky
Parents in front of a tombstone
Kissed by a single ray of light
She's smiling down from above, on her golden throne

1 comment:

  1. This is a really excellent poem, I love how you engaged the reader right from the start and expressed the emotions that one would feel if they were going through a simmilar scenario. Shaira Berg

    ReplyDelete