Thursday 7 November 2013

Riley Jones

I am From
Riley Jones
ulvikaru. Raleigh Museum of Natural Sciences. 2010. ULVIKARU POSTCARDS. Photograph. November 7, 2013

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina
I am from 1308 Kimberly Drive
and from the bunny house
and Leadmine Road
and 1318 Mayfair Road

I have lived in the house on Kimberly Drive
for 13 years with my mother
and 3 years with both my parents
but that was never a bother

I am from my mom's house
which has had only one address
my entire life
I know it like the back of my hand

I am from my dad's house,
which has changed many times
I have fond memories of all

Such as the bunny house
where I had a "pet" wild rabbit
who would eat from my hand,
but not my dad's

I am from Leadmine Road
where we would take walks
to the bean tree
and try to make another
it never worked, but that didn't stop me

One summer at Leadmine
brought little brown puppies
who would wriggle like worms
and chew our fingers with tiny teeth

I am from 1318 Mayfair Road
where I got a new family
and new rules

I am from 1318 Mayfair Road
where the whole street would
gather on any day we could
and as we raced the wind whipped trough my hair

I am from 1318 Mayfair Road
where I was taught if something
wasn't "normal" or widely accepted,
it was "weird", and weird is wrong

Mayfair summers were spent at the creek
winding our way upstream
gave us plenty chance to dream
and enjoy childhood at its peak

I am from 1318 Mayfair Road
where I realized not everyone
will accept me for who I am
and what I prefer to do

At 1318 Mayfair Road
I learned to be guarded about what my interests that were
not normal
yet summers were the best

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina
Yet I have had four addresses so far
Each has shaped me differently
"Where do you come from?"
Where do I start?

3 comments:

  1. I really like how the rhyme scheme almost matches up most of the time. It's really long, but its descriptive, and a bit thinkerable which a poem should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you associated your personality to your family and where you live.
    I also liked the vocabulary you used,really easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the content and language you used in your poem, its very long and informative. I can really imagine your life after reading it.

    ReplyDelete