Wednesday 7 May 2014

Molly | Google Summary & Reflection

On May 5th, 2014 the 10th grade English class took a trip to the Google headquarters in Zurich. We left ISW at 12:15 and traveled to the Enge train station. We then walked to Google, and were led to a conference room. Next, we talked to Caroline VW's dad (a Google employee). He gave us some general information about how Google was started, Google's data centers, and others interesting topics. During this talk, the class was treated to some beverages and snacks. After the talk and powerpoint about Google, the group was spilt up into three tour groups to take a look around. The tour mostly consisted of seeing the many micro-kitchens and relaxing lounges, but we also got to see many employees working in their teams, which I thought was very interesting. Every micro-kitchen has a different theme. My favorite micro-kitchen was the one that was set up as a library. Our tour guide took as to that one on our last stop of the tour, and decided to treat our group to ice cream. Google has made their workspace a home away from home for their employees, and I thought it was fantastic. Finally we all convened back in the conference room for a quick Q&A. Afterward we made our way back to the train station, and went our ways home.

My experience at Google was fantastic. I thought that the entire trip was informative, but still fun. I have always been interested in Google, so I knew many of the things that we were told in the presentation. However my understanding of Google did change a little during the trip. Before this field trip, I had no idea the immensity of the data centers that Google needs to function. I have always thought of google as a simple search engine, but after the trip I have a new found respect for the thousands of people and computers that help Google give me the answers I desire when I search on it.  Google is the most powerful and influential player in the internet. Google almost has a monopoly over the internet. It owns an email network, Youtube, it's own social network, and even the blog app I am using to write this response! Google impacts the public everyday, and will continue to effect us throughout our lives. As long as Google keeps in touch with what the public wants, it will continue to be the leader of the internet.

Poon, Patricia. Staff Library Room: Google, Zurich. Digital image. Flickr. N.p., 8 Oct. 2008. Web. 7 May 2014.

1 comment:

  1. Language: You used many transition words, such as finally, afterword or next.
    Content: You give a really good discription about what we did and the facts that you learned.

    Richard Matalewski

    ReplyDelete