Thursday 8 May 2014

Google Experience / Renua

Our trip to Google was an amazing experience. We arrived at the lobby of the Google facility where Mr. Van Winkel was waiting for us. We were all given name tags, and asked put our phones among our other belongings. We were then taken to a conference room where refreshments were waiting for us on the table. After we were given a presentation on Google and the multiple project Google has running. During the presentation we learnt how Google started, what Google means and its importance today. As well as explaining to us different aspects of his job. We were then split into groups and given tours around the Google facilities. Along the tour we were able to see the multiple micro kitchens, the game rooms and offices. Not only were all the rooms amazingly designed  but also a majority of the rooms and themes that made the atmosphere lighter. Expressively the Lego micro kitchen. After the tour we were given the chance to ask questions about Google and have them answered by Mr. Van Winkel. We then left Google, but not before taking a picture outside the sign, next to a large sign with the logo on it.
 
While at Google I learnt a lot about the data centers and how the information we give to google is being organized. In addition i learnt that google is the largest search engine and one of the largest manufacturers of computers. Learning that google makes a majority of its money off ads was shocking to me. This allowed me to connect the trip to the unit in English. I think Google is important part of the internet to a lot of people, an example of this is that a lot of people use Google to check their network connectivity. We learnt that this puts pressure of Google to always be up and running.
"Google Office Pictures (47 Pics)." 1dak. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 May 2014.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the way you used your transition, because you used them, but they weren't obvious. I wasnt shocked that google makes most of their money from advertisment, as I couldt have seen any other way for them to make so much money.
    -Verena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you sound really positive about the trip in the first paragraph! I agree with the part that you were shocked because of the ads, I felt the same when I heard that, I^'ve never thought of where they get the money from.
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete