Wednesday 7 May 2014

Google Experience - Caroline van Winkel

On May fifth we went to Google's office in Zürich. Although I had been there many times before because my father works there, I was looking forward to go. Once we arrived in Zürich Enge and when we got to Google's building, we got our guest-badges. First, we went to a conference room in the new building (Opernhaus), so that my father could give a talk about Google. He talked about how Google was founded, how Google makes its money, and about the data centers that Google has. Throughout the talk we were able to ask questions, and of course as spoiling as Google is we had free drinks and snacks. After the talk we were divided into three groups so that we could do a tour around the office. The office is amazing. Not only are the walls and such nicely decorated, the so called "micro-kitchens" were always themed in a special way. For example, there is a Lego-themed micro-kitchen which has a Lego wall where Googlers can play with the Lego. There also is a slide to go down to one of the three restaurants. Overall, there are many different rooms and decorations that can make this office look like one giant playground for adults.

Unfortunately this trip to Google has not been very informative for me, as I already knew so much about Google. For example, I wrote an essay about Google in sixth grade (before my father was recruited), and I have also spent some C&S hours working in the Google office. Furthermore, my father often practices one of his talks at home, and he often makes me read something about Google. However, there were a few things that I had not heard before. One of these things was that the colors of the Google logo come from the Lego casings that Larry Page and Sergey Brin made to cover their computers, and another thing was that Google is one of the biggest server manufacturers on earth, because they manufacture all of their own servers. Although I think that Google has a major part of our privacy, and other personal things, I am happy that Google has so many different products so I do not have to give so many different companies my personal information.

A picture of the casing around one of Google's first computers. Digital image.Infolab. Stanford University,
n.d. Web. 7 May 2014. <http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/
IMG_6417GoogleSidesmall.jpg>.

1 comment:

  1. I really agree on what you said about Google. The building is amazing and it would be an awesome experience to work in there. Even though you already know so much about google, i still think its nice you came with us and were still exited about what your father has to say.
    - Billie Tyrell

    ReplyDelete